Plymouth Church of Pilgrims is listed on the National Historic Landmarks Register. Founded in 1847 by Henry Ward Beecher, and where Abraham Lincoln has worshipped, the building was also the site of the "underground railroad" during the Civil War.
The edifice is a fine example of 19th century urban tabernacle architecture with Italianate and colonial motifs. Designed by the English architect J.C. Wells, a founder of the American Institute of Architects, Plymouth Church was clearly intended for the preaching of the Word, with excellent acoustics, good visibility and no center aisle.
The open design was enormously influential among many American Protestant churches. Among its many innovations were delicate cast iron columns holding up the main balcony. The project required the creation of a new entry to the Sanctuary to the main facade and restoration to sections of the interior.